A big part of the Twin Forks Chapter's mission is the acquisition of railway equipment significant to Long Island for preservation and restoration. Most of our collection resides in the Riverhead Freight Yard along side rolling stock of the Railroad Museum of Long Island. The only exception is our flat side caboose C-60 which is on display at the New York City Transit Museum in the Court Street Station in Brooklyn.
Ex-LIRR Jordan Spreader W-93
In 2001 Jordan Spreader W-93 was donated to our chapter from the Long Island Rail Road. The spreader was built in October 1948 by the O.F. Jordan Company in East Chicago, Indiana. It spent its entire long and illustrious career on the Long Island Rail Road working in its prime element as a ballast spreader, grading the right of way. W-93 was also pressed into snowplow duties on more than a few occasions. W-93 is in excellent shape and is still a fully functional piece of equipment.
Ex-LIRR N22A Caboose #60
Caboose C-60 was built in 1961 by the International Railway Car Company. C-60 is interesting as it is a "flatside" meaning it has no cupola or bay window. C-60 is in very good shape and has been the focus of "Caboose Day." In 2005 the interior was professionally sandblasted by No-Chem Stripping. 2006 featured major strides on C-60, as the interior is fully finished. The exterior was sandblasted and repainted. C-60 currently resides at the New York City Transit Museum in Brooklyn on lease.
Ex-LIRR N22B Cabooses #63 & #64
Cabooses C-63 and C-64 are N22 class Bay Window type Cabooses. Both C-63 and C-64 were built in 1963. Pictured above is C-63. Currently C-63 is undergoing repainting to her MTA yellow and blue. The caboose will also have the Long Island "speed lettering." You can just make out the original "Long" on the side of the car in the picture above.
Caboose C-64 pictured above was repainted into the "Coast Guard" scheme and just needs its numbers to be applied. C-64 functions as Twin Forks' tool and storage car.
Ex-LIRR Coaches 2907 & 7526
In early 2009 The Twin Forks Chapter acquired two former LIRR passenger cars, ex-LIRR 2907 & W-85 (7526). The Long Island Rail Road donated the two cars to RMLI along with a set on M-1 Passenger cars. These cars were surplus to the needs of the Museum which then donated the cars to the Chapter.
Former LIRR P-72 #2907 was built in 1955 and was in commuter service until retired in the 1980s. The car entered MOW service as a Sandite car. Sandite was a substance put on the rails to prevent wheel slippage and sliding. Unfortunately, due to the cars decrepit condition, it was scrapped in 2017.
7526 is a class P-74B, and was built in 1942 for the Boston & Maine as their #4590. When the LIRR acquired the car in the 1960s, it was renumbered #7526. The car was then converted into a Bar car. It was in commuter service till the early 1980s. After retirement, it was relegated to Maintenance of Way service, converted to an alcohol car and re-numbered W-85. The term “Alcohol Car” refers to an alcohol substance that the LIRR used to spray on the third rail in electric territory to prevent ice build up on the 3rd rail.
7526 was also the subject of Twin Forks' first collector HO Scale Coach produced by Rapido Trains.
EX-MTA Maintenance of Way Flatcar #110
Yup On May 4th 2003, along wth acquiring former LIRR hacks C-60, C-63 and C-64, the LIRR also donated former MTA maintenance of way flatcar #110. In addition to the equipment that came out we also obtained a pair of Alco locomotive trucks which were placed on top of the flatcar. Members have done extensive research on the car and found that it was originally built in 1923 for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. This car was also extended length wise in its life, and featured bulkheads on the end for use in wallboard service at one point. Unfortunately, due to the cars decrepit condition, it was scrapped in 2017.